The Italian Job (1969)
(1969, Peter Collinson)
- The Mini Cooper chase scene makes the movie.
- The finale is classic.
- Noel Coward gets a dream role.
- Michael Caine looks great.
- It’s fun to say the “bloody doors off” line.
- The supporting characters have no personality whatsoever.
- The main characters get no development whatsoever.
- The build-up to the heist – done so well in other movies (see Soderbergh’s Ocean’s 11) – seems perfunctory and half-baked, because we’re allowed no insight into the heist’s complexity.
- It might be bested by its own 2003 remake.